Welcome to the Finger Lakes! Our theme song:


In a town this size, there's no place to hide
Everywhere you go, you meet someone you know...
In a smokey bar, in the backseat of your car
In your own little house, someone's sure to find you out
What you do and what you think
What you eat and what you drink...

(Kieran Kane)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Glen man tortured in UAE, where's Schumer?

A young engineer from Watkins Glen has been arrested, tortured, and faces prison in the UAE, a supposed US ally.  John Christensen reports in the Chronicle Express:
Adam Foster, 30, of Watkins Glen and the son of Jeannette Andrews Foster, a native of Dundee, is the young man at the center of an international scandal over the treatment of prisoners by the United Arab Emirates, a close ally of the United States and one of the largest exporters of oil in the world.
Accused of stealing a pair of handcuffs, the Finger Lakes resident was tortured in order to extract a confession:
Prosecutors accused him of stealing the handcuffs during questioning. “To this day, I remain confused by the prosecution’s accusation. I was under constant surveillance during my time at the police station, by personnel, security cameras, and the other detainees,” says Foster.
Foster was chained to 15 other men in a tiny cell and questioned repeatedly for 12 hours. “They finally took me into a room, cuffed my hands tightly behind my back and sat me down on a chair. The officer removed my shoes and socks and began to whip the soles of my bare feet with a heavy gauge metal cable. After 15 minutes of interrogation, the officer said to me, “I am going to continue to hit you until you tell me that you stole them.”
Foster could be forced to serve up to seven years in a foreign prison.  Whether guilty or innocent of what would be at most a minor infraction, Adam Foster's treatment has been barbaric.  Perhaps the Finger Lakes' high ranking representative in the US Senate could provide assistance?

What's Chuck Schumer been up to while Adam Foster suffers?  Why, he's been playing politics.  Professor Jacobson points out that our senior senator is hard at work, trying to bring down radpidly rising Republican star Paul Ryan.

From Schumer's official web site: "Contact Chuck".

No comments:

Post a Comment